Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5 on Alienware laptop

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jan 26 09:39:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 01/26/2015 12:54 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand the part about it not having what you need.
>

> My understanding is that the Live version simply copies itself to your disc.
> That means that what you get is what's included in the .iso; nothing more,
> nothing less.  If you want LibreOffice instead of AbiWord and Gnumeric, you
> have to install them yourself, later.

As often as LibreOffice is updated, you're installing it again anyway
even if it's on installation media. But LibreOffice is included in the
Workstation product. If you want something else, launch Software, see
the installed list, click the Remove button on what you don't want,
and it's removed. Installation of what you do want works the same way.

>  I'd much rather decide for myself
> what gets installed instead of starting out with what some stranger thinks I
> need.

I think the top two biggest applications on Workstation are FireFox
and LibreOffice. This is because they're popular and most everyone
wants those things to start out with. But the fallout is that
invariably, if you're committed to installing, you effectively
download these things twice. Once in the media itself, and again when
it's updated right after installation. So from the point of view of
getting what you want, you're better off with netinstall media.

--
Chris Murphy