despirate help needed - Samba and security = share

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 09:49:11 UTC 2015

On Friday 23 January 2015 21:17:55 Pete Travis wrote:
> No, please don't do this.  Be honest with yourself about how frequently
> you are willing to upgrade this server, and compare that to Fedora's
> release cycle.  It doesn't match up.  I'm all for using Fedora, even in
> apparently mission-critical situations like yours - but only if the
> admin is willing to work with it as the relatively rapid release cycle
> distribution that it is.
>
> An appropriate methodology could be:
> +0 months  - Upgrade to Fedora 21 now.
> +4 months  - When Fedora 22 is released, begin migration planning and
> testing +10 months - By the time Fedora 23 is released, you should be ready
> to migrate to F22, or you should have already done so.
> +10 months - Begin migration testing and planning for F23
> +16 months - Complete migration to F23
>
> If your workflow or circumstances can't accomodate more than a one year
> lag, consider a distribution that has support cycles longer than one
> year.  CentOS comes to mind, most of your knowledge will translate well.
>
> --Pete

Pete,

In an ideal world I agree with everything you say. However, this isn't an
ideal world.

Bear in mind that I'm replacing a Fedora 8 server. This is how often I update
my servers.  These are non-public facing servers, and perform internal
services.

The whole point of installing F16 (I'm now installing F17 as it's still got
mirrors working and still supports what I need) is because SAMBA have
discontinued the feature that I need. I will never be upgrading this server.

The reason I'm using Fedora is that I know Fedora and can use Fedora (even
with all the changes between F8 and F17).