WiFi

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Jan 26 20:47:34 UTC 2015

On 01/25/2015 11:46 PM, poma wrote:
> On 25.01.2015 00:05, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> pci adapter. The only problem I have now is that it is very hard to get
>> devices that support Linux from retail stores.
> Help yourself with these two references to search:
> http://wireless.kernel.org
> https://wikidevi.com
Thanks poma, I looked at those pages and they highlight a major problem.
Looking at the list of Adapters on those pages they are either USB which
I am having issues with, some of which are using the rtl8812AU chipset,
pci devices which are using the rtl8812AU chipset (which is the chipset
for which the driver won't make the kernel) or a BCM chipset which is
listed on the driver pages as not being supported by the BCM driver, and
there is one pci adapter using a BCM chipset that is not listed at all
as far as I can see. So its looking like 802.11ac is still not properly
supported yet in Linux, which is a bit disappointing considering it has
been available since 2013 (assuming the Wikipedia page I looked at has
not misprinted the date of release, which could be on the cards as the
page says 802.11ad was released in 2012).