Another systemd annoyance

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Sat Jan 31 11:52:10 UTC 2015

Hi,

tried to safely bring down a crashed Fedora 21 machine today, but M-sysrq
didn't do anything. After bringing the machine up again, the logs showed
that M-sysrq functionality was disabled. After investigating further, it seemed
that only Sysrq-S (emergency save) was actually working. In /etc/sysctl.d/01-sysctl.conf,
"kernel.sysrq=1" was present. It took me nearly 30 min. to find out that systemd
has it's own sysctl definitions, gladly ignoring/overwriting /etc/sysctl.d. In
/usr/lib/sysctl.d/50-default.conf, "kernel.sysrq=16" was set, which is what crippled
full sysrq functionality.

In addition, I'm curious what happens when the next systemd update gets pulled in.
Most probably, my manual settings will be overwritten with what systemd thinks
is good for the user..