Change ip address -

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 19:15:57 UTC 2015

On 10/06/2015 09:13 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> It's highly likely that it will simply use its only interface as
> a default route, at least that's the way it worked for the two IP
> cameras I set up that also had an initial IP address of 1.1.1.1.

That's not generally how IPv4 works.  In the simple, most common
configuration, a device has an address and a netmask.  For a device that
defaults to 1.1.1.1, that's probably either /8 or /24.  In that case,
the device will be able to respond to addresses prefixed with 1.anything
or 1.1.1.anything, respectively.

It's technically possible that the device could have a 0.0.0.0/0 direct
route on its network interface, but it's extremely unlikely. I've never
seen a device configured that way by default.  (Such a device would try
to resolve all addresses via ARP.)  If a device were configured that
way, users probably wouldn't be instructed to use 1.1.1.2 as their own
address, as Bob was.  And that's really the point: Bob stated the
requirement that he use 1.1.1.2 as his address, and adding a direct
route doesn't accomplish that.