HCL badly needs updating

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Oct 7 16:55:24 UTC 2015

On 10/07/2015 05:58 AM, Temlakos wrote:
> Everyone:
>
> Who is keeping the Hardware Compatibility List for Fedora?
>
> Someone's been falling down on the job. That HCL hasn't seen an update
> in five years.
>
> In that interval, the hardware makers have introduced "two-in-ones,"
> laptops with screens that respond to touch as swiftly as a tablet does.
> And I can't even find, /anywhere,/ any insight as to whether Fedora will
> even run on a two-in-one.
>
> Even if I decide not to go for a two-in-one just now: I found a good
> deal on a modern Acer Aspire E machine. I look up the HCL. The most
> recent article on any Acer model goes back to Fedora 11. And here we are
> at Fedora 22!
>
> Why has the community neglected the HCL?
>
> Or are we now supposed to be 100 percent confident Fedora will run on
> absolutely any platform out there? Without having to use proprietary
> drivers? (I refer here to the never-ending NVidia GeForce problem.)

Uhm, it's probably fallen behind as it's one hell of a lot of work to
maintain. If you feel strongly about it, then perhaps you could locate
the original or current maintainer and either complain loudly to them or
offer to take it over yourself. Judging from what it takes to get
various kernels and drivers karma and such on hardware over on the
developer's list, I think you'll find maintaining the HCL pretty
daunting as well.

I agree it would be nice, but since a huge portion of Linux is
community-based, you have to find the volunteers willing to do the
work. That often isn't easy. You know, life happens.