missing repo, no repomd, no metalink.xml

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Oct 7 23:32:58 UTC 2015

On 10/08/2015 07:20 AM, Shane wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 12:56 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 10/07/2015 11:14 AM, Shane wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>    I'm using Fedora18 x86_64.  (Yes, it's old.)  Within the last few days I found that I cannot install or list anything from the fedora-18 repo via yum. I get the typical errors everybody complains about "no repomd" and "metalink.xml does not exist".  Common workarounds from google searches haven't worked.
>>>
>>>    I opened the link spit out by yum "http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-18&arch=x86_64" in a browser.  It downloaded a metalink file (no .xml suffix).  The 3rd (or so) line of the file has the following dubious message.
>>>
>>> # repo = fedora-18 arch = x86_64 error: invalid repo or arch
>>>
>>>    Following this line is a HUGE listing of available repos and architectures.  There is nothing shown for fedora-18 arch i386 or x86_64.  In fact, even fedora-source-18 repo is missing.  I don't think this is a yum problem on my system.
>>>
>>>    Is there something else I can try (yum-wise)?  If I need to report it then where?  I'm quite certain that this is the wrong list.
>>>
>> Nothing.  F18 was EOL a long time ago.  Updates via yum aren't available.
>   Well, in my first paragraph, I did specifically state that I cannot list or install packages.  I'm not concerned about updates - I already know that F18 is EOL and that updates aren't available.
>
>   Anyway, it seems somebody heard complaints or just figured out the problem.  F18 repo is working for x86_64 arch again.
>> If you need something from the last time things were updated you need to find them and download them manually from http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/18/x86_64/  and you'll need to resolve the dependencies yourself.
>
>   Just because a repo is EOL doesn't mean that yum won't work. Repos continue to support installation of packages with dependency resolution.

If they have been moved to "archive" and don't exist on mirrors they won't.  And nobody is going to make them available as that is the purpose of EOL, to relieve people of having to maintain old, out of date, un-patched for security, software.

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from computers altogether.