command line controlling gnome-alsamixer

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 25 10:58:24 UTC 2015

Is there a way to control gnome-alsamixer, so I can toggle the mute on
and off for microphone *monitoring*?  (That's hearing it back through
the soundcard, using the hardware mixer.)

Or another controller for the mixer?  No, the CLI alsamixer doesn't give
control for that parameter.  Well, not that I can see.

I want to hear sidetone when doing VOIP while wearing headphones.  And I
don't want to have to open the mixer panel every time I start or stop a
VOIP session.

Leaving the microphone monitoring on all the time isn't an option.  It
adds unwanted noise, and is a potential audio feedback source if not
wearing headphones.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

Long ago I gave up on using Windows (TM) [Tantrum Machine], and I've
never regretted it.