Multi-OS setup: dual/multi-boot vs virtualbox

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Oct 25 23:33:07 UTC 2015

On 10/26/2015 05:55 AM, Max Pyziur wrote:
> I'm a novice at assessing the question of  multi-boot vs using
> virtualbox.
>
> I've seen a lot of discussion on this topic on this email list; some
> of it expressed with frustration ("I can't upgrade my Fedora
> installation because of my multi-boot setup ..."; or "why use a
> multi-boot system; use VirtualBox").
>
> So my general interest is to continue using Fedora as my primary OS;
> but enough times, I need to use the MS Office suite.
>
> I have a laptop (Dell Latitude E6220 with MS Windows 7
> factory-installed; 750GB HD, 8GB RAM). I've begun a few multi-boot
> installations using Fedora, to see what some of direct challenges are
> (the first steps to shrink an existing partition, in order to create
> room for a Fedora installation). But have never completed an
> installation.
>
> Advice, thoughts?

Sounds as if you're asking for opinions.  So, I'll give you mine.

I've never used dual-boot and never saw the need in my use case.  The
only reason I would consider using dual-boot over VM's is if I were a
"gamer", and I'm not.  I use Windows for a few things but the things I
use it for don't benefit from direct access to the video hardware.
Also, the things I use Windows for don't suffer from any performance
issues running in a VM.

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others
should stay away from computers altogether.