Bluetooth woes (again)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 31 00:14:54 UTC 2015

Tim:
>> I don't have any personal need for a wireless keyboard, I nearly
>> always type at the same location, with a desktop computer:  You have
>> a collection of hardware that's always going to be there (computer,
>> monitor, speakers, etc.), anyway.

Rick Stevens:
> Me too, but I often find my desk is a dumping ground for oddball
> things and a cord often becomes an issue (sometimes having electronics
> degrees at a software firm is a "bad thing" :-)).

Similar here, working in electronics and video production.  You get
everything from components and soldering irons, to equipment that
stopped working, and the occasional thing that needs half a dozen patch
leads and your desk was the only space to put it on.

But in general, a static cable on something that doesn't move while
you're using it (e.g. keyboard), isn't too much of a problem.  It is a
big pain with things that you do move around while using them, like the
mouse.  Even without a cable, there's one big flaw with mice, you often
have to move it far to do a very long scroll action, and it's all too
easy to move up, bump into something on the desk, and it clicks the
button for you.  The old Amiga mice were a better design to avoid that,
their buttons were only on the top, they didn't curve around to the
front, as well.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.

Linux servers are always being dæmonised...