OT: SSD or not to SSD, that is the question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 9 11:33:46 UTC 2015

Rick Stevens wrote:
>> SSDs are fast, but when they die, it's typically sudden, with no
>> warning, catastrophic and irrecoverable.

Tom Horsley:
> You mean just like every "normal" hard disk I've ever had die? (OK,
> one did get smart errors first, but all the others just went kaput
> with no warning).

I haven't had a HDD do that, yet (tempting fate by saying that).  I've a
few that have always had a bad sector or two, that I've kept on using
while testing out Linux installs, because they were left in the box.

Here's a pecularity:  When you have a master and slave on parallel ATA
port, where one drive has a fault, it impacts on the performance of both
drives.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.