Looking for application to clone a disk with incremental backup

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Sep 10 20:56:41 UTC 2015

On 09/10/2015 01:40 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you know of some application to clone a disk with incremental
>>> backup? I know about clonezilla, but, unfortunately, clonezilla does
>>> not have yet differential/incremental backup implemented. (
>>> http://clonezilla.org/ )
>>
>> Well, sure. Cloning a drive is a totally different thing than doing
>> backups (which are typically file-based) and I doubt a clone package
>> will ever have incremental backup capacity.
>>
>> After all, a clone is a snapshot of the drive at the time the clone was
>> done. Incremental backups are based on a full backup, then differences
>> between the last time a backup was done and the current backup.
>>
>> For incremental backups, you could do something as simple as rsync or
>> use one of the many backup utilities around (amanda, bacula,
>> mondorescue, etc.).
>
> Thanks, Rick, for your reply. The idea of a cloning application with
> differential / incremental backup is not mine, but inspired on what is
> written at the clonezilla site:
>
> "Differential/incremental backup is not implemented yet."

Ah, well then clonezilla's statement is misleading.

At this shop, we use bacula and back up to a big HP storage array.
We also have a TimeMachine server for the Macs, but its storage also
gets saved on the HP array via bacula.

At home I generally use rsync to an external drive for immediate use,
and mondorescue every month for a full-boogie, "reinstall-on-bare-metal"
backup.