Very SLOW system update

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Sep 13 05:55:36 UTC 2015

Just curious: what is the thinking behind setting fastestmirror=0 by default? Is it to get around the overhead for calculating the fastest mirror each time.

Ranjan

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:16:32 -0700 Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Found this answer at https://ask.fedoraproject.org :
>
> "dnf includes fastestmirror functionality in standard package (no plugin
> needed). You just need to enable it in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf by setting
> fastestmirror=1. It is disabled by default (man dnf.conf
> <http://linuxmanpages.net/manpages/fedora21/man8/dnf.conf.8.html>).
> blaztinn <https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/users/15986/blaztinn/> (Aug 28
> '15)"
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Juan Lavieri <jlavieri at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I'm new on fedora but not in Linux (More than 15 years using debian) and I
> > have the same problem.
> >
> > Of course there are a lot of things going wrong (from my point of view)
> > that needs to be solved but I can't find the answer.  What I need is time.
> >
> > In Debian there is a tool named apt-spy that finds for the fastest mirrors.
> >
> > I'd like to know if a such tool does exist on fedora?
> >
> > Please take note that  I have a lot of things trying to understand, again
> > I need time.
> >
> > Another thing, please excuse my english; I'm a spanish speaking guy so
> > please take note of this.
> >
> > Thanks and regards
> >
> > ​​

> >> Unless we knew just which mirror your system was using there's no way to
> >> tell.  You might try using iotop, if it's already installed.
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> >
> > Juan Lavieri
> >
> > Errar es de humanos, pero es mas humano culpar a los demás.
> >
> > --

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.