firefox?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Sep 28 04:58:23 UTC 2015

On 09/27/2015 10:32 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 09/27/2015 10:10 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> Firefox needs sqlite-3.8.11 which is currently in updates-testing but will
>>> go to stable in the next push. The bodhi link is
>>> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2015-16569 and you can
>>> download it from
>>> https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/22/ (at least
>>> until it hits stable).
>>
>> In other words, some maintainer pushed a built with broken deps, Fedora's automated dep checkers and rel-eng also missed these.
>>
>> It's nice to see, how well Fedora's infrastructure works and how reliable it is ;)
>>
> Maybe you should ask for a refund?

No. I am simply expecting these guys to do their job, them not to push
broken updates and them to have tools in place which prevent obvious
cases like these. I am also expecting the people in charge to show up
and take responsibility. I am also expecting them to analyse the cause
to prevent such cases from happening again.

Fedora is not in the situation 10 years ago. They do have tools in place
(Or at least claim to have them) which should prevent cases like these.

>  Oh, wait...  :-)
>
> Ironically, I really do mean "wait".  It will get sorted (and actually is now for me) and in the mean time you can use the version on your system that is still there.  Nobody will die during this waiting period.

If you check timestamps, you'll notice that
- they pushed the sqlite update more than 12 hours after the firefox update.
- they pushed the sqlite update several hours after people started to
complain about the broken firefox update on this list.
- The sqlite update did not go through the usual Fedora QA-process.

In other words, as things appear, somebody was firefighting after the
broken update had gone public.

Ralf