Cannot Boot Fedora 23 live media on Lenovo C540

Kevin Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Feb 2 19:39:51 UTC 2016

On 02/01/16 18:21, R Mercado wrote:
> I have now been able to validate the Live Fedora CD by booting it on an
> older machine. The Lenovo C540 does not boot with it though.
> Thanks to Chris Murphy's suggestions I also got a bootable USB stick.
>
> The Lenovo picks up some of the boot code and comes to a menu where i
> can choose "Start Live CD", "Verify media and start live CD" and
> "Troubleshoot".

This is the GRUB menu.  You can choose which entry to boot, and also
edit the boot command lines before you select one.  So, if you need to
add or remove kernel options, select the line with your cursor, and hit
the "e" key....  If you read the screens, they should be mostly self
explanatory.

> Selecting "start live CD" the machine shows a black screen with a
> blinking cursor at the top left and freezes. The keyboard
> NumLock/CapsLock LEDs stop responding to toggle. Ctrl-Alt-Del work when
> frozen.

One of the things to remove would be the "rhgb" options, and possibly
the "quiet" option as well (is that two options?)  Then you can see what
the startup is doing and you can then report back the last few messages
on the console or some errors that happen during the boot up

> I could not find Lenovo firmware updates to flash the BIOS.
>
> I initially installed Fedora 20 on the Lenovo C540 and I remember the
> installation media used to work okay on it.

Another thing to try is to boot each Fedora Live image between FC20 and
FC23 to try and see where the failure starts.  Especially, if FC23
doesn't work, does FC22?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net