Save a VM -

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Feb 2 23:15:44 UTC 2016

On 02/02/2016 02:38 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 02/02/2016 02:21 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> On the computer I'm having trouble with that directory is there but
>> empty, it contains no files.
>> Yet virtual machine manager thinks it has less than "22528 M?"
>
> It doesn't matter what's in that directory so much as it matters how
> much space that filesystem has.
>
> $ df /var/lib/libvirt/images

Yup. What libvirt is saying is that the _filesystem_ it wants to create
the disk image on has less than 22528MB (22.5GB) free space and it
needs more than that to create the disk image.

Generally the most space used on /var is in /var/log, and on modern
systems, /var/log/journal in particular (which, by default, is allowed
to eat up to 10% of the filesystem space).

Another candidate is /var/cache--especially /var/cache/system-upgrade
if you did a system upgrade to get from a previous Fedora to the current
one. If you have done that and your system works, then just delete
/var/cache/system-upgrade via "sudo rm -rf /var/cache/system-upgrade"