Lan connection problem -

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Wed Feb 10 21:16:48 UTC 2016

On 2/10/2016 12:35 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Note: This morning's tests are using the original Linksys E3000 router
> and Tomato 1.28 which was in use when the problem first appeared. Just
> thought I needed to go back and reassure myself that the replacement
> Buffalo/OpenWRT router wasn't introducing new problems.

I was under the impression that your router was the Fedora 23 box - now
this is making a little more sense.  I notice you're using custom
firmware on those devices and it makes me wonder whether they might play
a role in some way.

The next thing I would try would be to wire the Fedora system and one of
your other devices to the router and see if a router reboot affects the
connectivity between the system and the device.  This procedure
simplifies the problem set by removing the wireless piece of the
puzzle.  If rebooting the router affects connectivity between the two
wired devices, then you might have a problem with the router's switch.
To confirm this you can substitute a simple switch for the router,
connect both the system and the device to it, check connectivity, reboot
the switch and check connectivity again - rebooting the switch should
have no effect and the systems should be able to interact with each
other consistently.

If rebooting the router doesn't affect the connectivity of the wired
system and another wired device, then the problem might be with the
router's wireless capability and possibly with how the system and other
devices interact with it.

Tom