dovecot? systemd?

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 15:20:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just did a "dnf update" and now dovecot won't start at boot.

No issue here with the updated dovecot. I guess it has nothing to do
with the update.

> I get errors like:
>
> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=89/n/a
> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Unit entered failed state.
> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh systemd[1]: dovecot.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
>
> And over in maillog for the same timestamp:
>
> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh dovecot: master: Error: service(imap-login): listen(*, 993) failed: Address already in use

This above line means the socket is already up and listening. Dovecot
systemd service file is bind to <dovecot.socket> unit. Stopping only
dovecot is not enough, the socket must be closed to.

> Feb 11 07:23:41 tomh dovecot: master: Fatal: Failed to start listeners

What is the output of <$ systemctl status deovecot -l> when dovecot is
down ? Did you have a look at <dovecot-init.service> ?

> But if I manually do this a few minutes after I boot:
>
> sudo systemctl restart dovecot.service

Try this instead:

# systemctl stop dovecot
# systemctl stop dovecot.socket
# systemctl start dovecot

The restart command is not always the safest choice.

> It then starts running with no problems.
>
> So who the heck is grabbing the imap ports when dovecot tries to start at boot?

> --

google.com/+arnaudgabourygabx