Desktop Does Not Start Up

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 22:23:27 UTC 2016

Hi

I did a dnf update on my F23 workstation. After rebooting to make sure
that  the updates were working properly I find that I can't get to the
login screen.  I see the blue Fedora logo for a split second.  Then
the command line appears with a message to do Ctrl-D or login as root.
Nouveau drivers for the graphics card.  I can login as root and use a
text editor.  After the failed X startup  I can  see the following
error message on the screen

Error getting authority: Error initialization authority: Could not
connect: No such file or directory (g-io-error-quark, 1)

If I have a look at the log in /home/user/.local/share/xorg it says...

Fatal server error: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 1
(Permission
denied.

If I try startx as as a user or as root I can see.. for example... in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log...

dbus core: error connecting to system bus:
org.freedesktop.Dbus.Error.FileNotFound (Failed to connect to socket
/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory)

Can anyone suggest how to fix this ? I can't send in lengthy logs due
to the fact that I can't ssh into the machine or run a second or third
console. Access to one console only.

--
Richard
Sheffield UK