Re: gnome-disks: Disk is OK, 7080 bad sectors (31° C / 88° F)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 14:16:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 1:33 AM, Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer at ngtech.co.il>
wrote:

> Hey Richard,
>
> Just keep in mind that depends on your usage the disk might get bad
> sectors.
> As much as many including me would like to not have them happen they do
> happen for any HDD vendor!
> Some things that affect DISK lifespan:
> - enterprise\server level usage on a desktop disk
> - high times of over heating(can be a result of the above)
> - very high number of random direct read+write operations exhausting the
> mechanical parts of the disk.
> - electricity stability issues which can cause magnetic interference in
> disk operations.
> - many others.

In this case it is up 24/7 but it will be used as a DVR drive so I/O wise
it's not very demanding.

And I must admit that I do not want to stain Seagate name and I must add
> that couple years ago when 250GB was lots of space I bought a WD 250GB HDD
> that faulted after only about 24 hours of operation.
> What would you do after such a thing??

I would prefer it fail in 24 hours rather than a couple of months :) At
least then you know you have a bad drive quickly before you start trusting
it or get too far away from your backup that you were supposed to do.

Thanks,
Richard