how to tell where it booted from

Lester M Petrie petrielmjr at ornl.gov
Wed Feb 17 18:45:57 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10:03:04 AM Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 02/16/2016 09:19 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> > On 02/16/2016 08:15 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >> At the GRUB menu, type
> >>
> >> pager=1
> >> set
> >>
> >> Look for variable 'prefix=' this will be drive, partition, and path, to
> >> the GRUB directory where its cfg and modules are found.
> >
> > All right Chris!
> >

> > So apparently grub.cfg is ?compiled? into some other secret location
> > know only to the bootloader.  I have the sinking feeling I have to run
> > some grub2 magic spell to get the modified boot file into wherever it
> > goes but am loathe to try anything.  The reason I have a stripped down
> > grub.cfg is because the last one generated for me was pushing 200K and
> > the boot lines in each stanza had, so help me, nineteen swap files
> > included in each one.

grub2 uses the file /boot/grub2/grub.cfg by default. This file does get rebuilt by kernel updates,
and by running /sbin/grub2-mkconfig

> > Now the question:
> >
> > Is there a command that will take my simplified grub.cfg and install it
> > without modifying it in any way and leave me with a bootable system?
> > (please please please say yes).
>
> I've never used it, but I suspect grub-menulst2cfg may do what you
> want. It claims to "Convert a configuration file from GRUB 0.xx to GRUB
> 2.xx format". If you're going to continue to tinker in this way, you
> really have to read up on grub2:
>
> 	http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
>
> I agree it's convoluted and confusing and I'm not a fan (just like I'm
> not a fan of systemd or journald), but that's what you're stuck with.
>
> Most of the config info you may need to change is in /etc/default/grub.
> The scripts that generate the menu entries are in /etc/grub.d
> (particularly 10_linux and possibly 40_custom). The final config created
> by grub2-mkconfig generally ends up in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

If you remove the file /etc/grub.d/30_osprober, then grub2-mkconfig will not look for other
operating systems to add to the config file, but will only add the kernels for the current OS. Then
if you have a simple chainloader as the initial config that points to each OS, each OS will only
have its on entries in its grub.cfg.

--
Lester M Petrie
Bldg 5700, Room O305