Virtual consoles (was desktops) on F23 server edition

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Feb 26 23:14:47 UTC 2016

On 02/26/2016 02:47 PM, CLOSE Dave wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> tty2-6 will not be started unless you try to use them (e.g. the getty
>> on tty2 will only start if you use ALT-F2 from a console screen or
>> CTRL-ALT-F2 from the desktop). Once they're started, however, they
>> continue to run.
>
> I fully understand this. I now believe the problem is only indirectly
> related to virtual consoles. If I start the machine in multi-user mode
> (runlevel 3), the vconsoles work as expected. Only when running under X
> (via startx or graphical mode) do they fail.
>
> So my vconsoles are properly configured and work correctly outside of X.
> While X is running, if I press CTRL-ALT-F2, for example, the F2 vconsole
> does not start and the X display remains. However, X is stuck; keyboard
> or mouse input does not work. Remote access via SSH continues to work
> but the console is effectively dead. If I logout of X (without trying to
> start any vconsole), the logout works but no login prompt appears.
> Again, the console is effectively dead.

Wow. Uhm, since ssh works, have you used it to crawl around in the logs
to see if something weird is going on?

> I've also seen some possibly related issues. I generally configure X so
> that SHIFT-CTRL-TAB goes to the previous desktop. On F23, that
> combination is ignored. CTRL-TAB to go to the next desktop works. I also
> configure X so that a left mouse click outside any window should bring
> up an application launcher. Again, that input is ignored. Right and
> middle click actions work as expected. These problems occur even on
> systems where the vconsoles and logout work correctly. Those systems
> were upgraded to F23 rather than installed from scratch.
>
> If it matters, all these systems are using KDE, not Gnome.

Oh, Ok. I'm running Xfce myself on a machine that was upgraded
F22->F23. Granted I'm using the default key bindings:

	CTRL-ALT-HOME to go back one workspace
	CTRL-ALT-END to go forward one workspace
	CTRL-ALT-<F2...F6> to get the available virtual consoles

I have noticed, however, that CTRL-ALT-1 through CTRL-ALT-5 do NOT
take me directly to the workspaces (I have five set up). I don't
typically use that feature anyway, which is why I never noticed before.

Hmmmmmmmmm........