[fedora-virt] libguestfs best practices: Exposing files from the host for the duration of a session

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Fri May 29 17:40:24 UTC 2009

On May 29, 2009, at 4:10, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

>>  just use the ssh file transfer protocol?
>
> ssh isn't too widely supported (from programming language libraries).
> Does libssh2 even support scp?

libcurl does.  On the server side running sshd (and having sftp-server
installed) seems pretty manageable.

> WebDAV is possible, but it comes down to how much crap it will depend
> upon, all of which needs to go into the appliance.

nginx has a reasonable WebDAV implementation and few dependencies
IIRC.   I don't think WebDAV is worth it though; the only real benefit
is that it'd make it easy to make a "browse this disk from your web
browser" feature.

> FTP is widely supported and well understood, and the servers are old,
> small, self-contained code.  I really think it's better for this, and
> not just because I once wrote an FTP server ...

As long as it's just host->guest communication I agree, it makes no
difference.  If it's ever extended to remote host -> guest
communication FTP will just bring tears and misery.

  - ask