[fedora-virt] Windows XP KVM annoyance

Avi Kivity avi at redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 12:10:34 UTC 2010

On 04/01/2010 03:06 PM, Jes Sorensen wrote:

>>> I believe F12 was BOCHS, F13 is Seabios,
>>
>> That's unrelated.
>
> Depends whether we want to move things in Seabios to show up exactly
> like they do in BOCHS or not.

SeaBIOS has no influence on the hardware, only qemu does.  It can't move
cards in their slots or jumper irqs.

>>> even if it's the same layout
>>> something almost certainly moved things or flipped a flag of some sort.
>>
>> Well, what? it's a bug.
>
> The problem is that Windows has the idea that the same device showing up
> somewhere else requires a driver reinstall. If anything here is a bug,
> then it's Windows' behavior on this front.

No, the bug is that something moved around.  It's the host's
responsibility not to change things.  Qemu/libvirt are supposed to keep
everything in its original slot across upgrades.  While blaming Windows
is a common pastime it is not very constructive.