[fedora-virt] Fedora Virt Status

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Aug 2 11:58:43 UTC 2010

   Hi,

> Then I ran a VM from virt-manager and did a "ps auxwww | grep kvm" to
> see what the full command virt-manager uses.  I took that command and
> modified it for qemu-spice and here is what I came up with:

> /usr/bin/qemu-spice \ -spice port=1234,password=mypassword \ -device
> qxl \ -vga qxl \ -S \ -M pc \ -cpu core2duo,+x2apic \ -enable-kvm \

Zap '-S', it asks qemu to start up in 'vcpu stopped' state.  libvirt can
do some tweaks like pinning vcpu threads before actually booting the
guest then, you don't need that.

cut+paste the libvirt qemu cmd lines has a few pitfalls like this (fd
passing in nic setup for example), but on a brief look it seems you
catched the other ones.

> Please note that I used an existing Fedora 13 KVM VM.  If I
> understand correctly the VM needs to have the qxl driver installed in
> it so maybe that is why it isn't working.

It works without guest driver too, but you obviously don't get all
features then.

>  Or do the command line
> options given above inject the qxl driver into the VM magically?

No.  Use 'yum install xorg-x11-drv-qxl' inside the guest.

cheers,
   Gerd