[fedora-virt] Where can I find information on pinning the host os to a cpu set in RHEL6?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 1 21:41:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 02:11:34PM +0100, Henry Pepper wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to find out how I can pin the host OS to a cpu set, e.g.
> cpu0 on RHEL6.
>
> On Xen I simply pin the Domain-0 to a cpu set.
>
> But I don't seem to be able to identify the host OS in RHEL6/KVM.

Unlike Xen, the host isn't a special sort of guest.  The host is the
host, and so you just use standard Linux techniques.

The way I know to do this is to add "isolcpus=..." on the Linux boot
command line, although I've not used this for quite a long time and I
haven't tried it on RHEL 6.

isolcpus works in reverse: it's the CPUs that you want Linux *not* to
run on, so you probably want something like isolcpus=1-3

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/