[fedora-virt] Why is finding windows spice drivers so hard?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 15 15:04:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 09:05:21AM +0000, Gavin Spurgeon wrote:
> > These packages will be signed but not WHQL'd so you will have to make
> > a small registry edit in your Windows guest in order to install them.
> > You can use virt-win-reg[2] to do that in an automated way.  (One
> > thing you can do to help is to publish the precise method to do this --
> > I know it's possible, but haven't worked out the details).
>
> If you can tell me what you need to do, I will look into this for you
> and get back with info asap.
>
> I think you may be talking about the reg key that allows users to
> install unsigned drivers, But I just want to be 100% Sure.

Yes, this precisely.  And make a virt-win-reg[1] script to change that
key as required, then test that it all works with a Windows guest.
And document what versions of Windows it does/doesn't work for.

The idea is that we would supply this script along with the
(un-WHQL'd) drivers.  The script would allow the unsigned drivers to
be installed in the shut-down Windows guest (from the host).
Eventually the script would be extended to install the drivers as
well[2].

Rich.

[1] http://libguestfs.org/virt-win-reg.1.html

[2] https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/tip-install-a-device-driver-in-a-windows-vm/