[fedora-virt] kvm, xen and what requires H/W virt support?

Justin M. Forbes jmforbes at linuxtx.org
Tue Feb 2 13:57:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 05:23:48PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i might have asked this once and forgotten the answer but here:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Virtualization
>
> the caution near the bottom:
>
> "KVM requires hardware virtualization features in the host system.
> Systems lacking hardware virtualization do not support Xen guests at
> this time."
>
>   i'm confused since this seems to be mixing two issues -- what basic
> KVM requires, as opposed to which systems support Xen guests.  would
> there be a clearer way to word that?

Well, I am not sure where this is coming from at all.  Technically speaking
F-12 doesn't support any xen guests, as we have no dom0, though it will
happily run *as* a xen guest in either paravirt or fullvirt.
Perhaps the intention was to point out that systems without hardare virt
capabilities cannot run xen either, since we don't ship a dom0?

Justin