[fedora-virt] Access to individual VMs

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Feb 20 15:36:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:51:42 +0100
Kenni Lund wrote:

> If the user should be able to restart a crashed guest, you have to
> design the system outside of the guest, as you've already described.

Yep. At work we have a gazillion virtual machines for testing
on different linux distros, and I cobbled up a web cgi interface
folks who need a particular machine can use to reserve it and
have the cgi script run a virsh create command for them or
a script to shutdown the machine (which first tries clean shutdown
and if that doesn't work, does virsh destroy).

Something similar with the addition of some sort of authentication
layer could let users goto a web site and login to shutdown,
reboot, etc. their own machine. There must be canned examples
for web page login laying around on the web.