[fedora-virt] Status/issues of auto installation

Li Ming lili at redhat.com
Thu Feb 11 04:43:22 UTC 2010

Greetings,

     I am writing the following to tell you what the progress of auto
install and what issues we are facing now. I have developed a script
which can do DVD+ kickstart auto install,you can download and run it:

# git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/autoqa.git
# cd autoqa/tests/anaconda
# you need to install libguestfs, group install
Virtualization,python-virtinst ,etc... first
# mount -o loop DVDImage.iso /InstallTree

Then you can run it like this:
1. http/ftp... kickstart file:
./dvd_install.py -k http://server/ks.cfg -a i386 -d /InstallTree |tee
test.log
2. local kickstart file:
./dvd_install.py -k /path/to/ks.cfg -a i386 -d /InstallTree |tee test.log
3. remote install tree:
./dvd_install.py -k /path/to/ks.cfg -a i386 -d http://install/tree |tee
test.log
./dvd_install.py -k http://server/ks.cfg -a i386 -d ftp://install/tree
|tee test.log

but we prefer the second one:
2. local kickstart file:
./dvd_install.py -k /path/to/ks.cfg -a i386 -d /InstallTree |tee test.log
because we want to imitate a true local DVD install, but this test still
has an issue: In this test,the virt-install --location still will
activate network which request a DHCP server, this will be a big problem
for testers who are not in DHCP environment. If use virt-install --cdrom
will get what we want: imitate true local DVD install,but the ks
parameter can not be passed to grub in this case. If try to solve these
problems, we have such options:

# uncompress the ISO,then update the syslinux kernel args,then build ISO
again,my concern is this will consume big resource and it will waste
lots of time before each test.

# Guys from virt list give us a solution:
call qemu directly:
qemu -name 'vm1' -monitor
unix:/tmp/monitor-20100207-221920-Q1pS,server,nowait -drive
file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/fedoratest.img -drive
file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/ksdata.img -net nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0
-m 512 -smp 1 -drive
file=/nfs/iso/f12-ga/Fedora-12-i386-DVD.iso,index=2,media=cdrom -fda
/var/lib/libvirt/images/ksdata.img -tftp /var/lib/tftpboot -boot d
-bootp /pxelinux.0 -boot n -redir tcp:5000::22
This method works,the network was not activated,because the pxe install
can help download boot file and start system,this is before the system
can active network.But this method needs to copy the pxelinux.0 to tftp
server root directory,if the tester did not install syslinux, the
install will fail,I am not sure whether this will demand that the host
and the guest VM have the same system. because pxelinux.0 is located in
host system. The vmlinuz and initrd.img also have to be copied from iso
to tftp directory and the default config file need to be created. I have
some concerns about this method:
    1. The qemu is very slow, I tested the whole installation,even the
hardware is very good, the install speed is still very slow.
    2. The install needs to copy a pxelinux.0 file to tftp server root
directory, the pxelinux.0 was provided by syslinux which has to be
installed on host,that means the host and the guest should install the
same system? if we want to test f13, the host system has to be f13? If
it's true, we have to update the syslinux every time.
    3. the virt-install --location can handle the remote installation,
if we want to support remote install in the future, virt-install --cdrom
is not a good choice

# James Laska provided a method: use dogtail to pass args to
virt-viewer.It will append the supplied boot arguments to the guest and
initiate a kickstart DVD install. I still did not get time to try it
till now.

Thanks
Liam