[fedora-virt] is libvirtd breaking iptables in Fedora 12?

Justin M. Forbes jmforbes at linuxtx.org
Mon Jan 25 22:46:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 07:58:05PM +0000, Daniel Sanabria wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I noticed that if I turn on the libvirtd service via chkconfig it ends up
> breaking my iptables by adding duplicated rules.
>

> Has anyone experienced this? Is there another file that libvirtd uses to
> manipulate iptables?

libvirt has no sane was of integrating with iptables

We simply need a way to say to iptables "we've added these rules, please
load them when you restart" without overwriting the current configuration.
We also need lokkit/system-config-firewall to not overwrite these rules when
the user modifies the configuration.

The whole sorry saga is well documented in bug #227011

Justin