[fedora-virt] Allow everyone access to kvm virtual machines

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Jun 1 17:19:22 UTC 2010

On 05/29/2010 01:02 AM, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a Fedora box with a couple of virtualized windows boxes (under KVM) for testing.  With Fedora 11 everyone seemed to have access by default to run/see the machines under virt-manager.

So different regular user accounts could launch virt-manager and access
the VMs. Wasn't there a dialogue popping up, asking for the root
password? Did you do any local config changes, like editting PolicyKit
files?

> Since upgrading to Fedora 12 a few days ago until root has access -- I tried editing libvirtd.conf as described in http://libvirt.org/auth.html (setting none for the sockets and such), but I'm having no luck.  Any hints?

Do you mean 'only' root has access? That should be the default behavior,
virt-manager basically launches a PolicyKit dialog asking for root
credentials. Originally you used to be able to change these privs by
making changes indicated here:

http://libvirt.org/auth.html#ACL_server_polkit

Not sure if that works for polkit-1 in F12 and later. I don't think
messing with socket stuff will make a difference if libvirt is using
PolicyKit (which it does in Fedora).

- Cole