[fedora-virt] Thoughts on storage infrastructure for small scale HA virtual machine deployments

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 23:50:22 UTC 2010

On *Tue Mar 2 02:56:52 UTC 2010 **Dennis J.* wrote:

> Would I maybe get away with 4 bonded gbit ethernet ports? Would I require fiber channel or 10gbit infrastructure?

Sometimes ago I made some tests with F11+rawvirt 2-node cluster and drbd
setup. Unfortunately now I have not in place the test infra used...
My setup had a single gigabit nic card for replication.
But keep in mind that based on drbd mailing list threads feedbacks, when you
use gigabit network cards, 2 bonded NICs will provide *slightly* better
performance than one, but three
actually performs worse than a solitary NIC.
As a user (Ben) wrote, all of your data is transferred over a single TCP
stream, packets arrive on the remote end out of order, requiring significant
overhead to fix.
So probably you can go with two different bond pairs and assign some
resources to syncronize through bond0 and other ones through bond1.... or
use 4 different networks (loosing some degree of high-availability...)

Gianluca