[fedora-virt] Is it possible to automatically swap CD during Fedora install in KVM?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Mar 11 13:47:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 16:24 +0800, Li Ming wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I want to use python to write an auto-test script to test fedora
> install CD in KVM,my idea is: use virt-install to create a guest with
> arguments --cdrom FedoraCD.iso, then the guest will boot with CD,with
> the kickstart or something, the install will automatically
> continue,after CD1 is finished, the anaconda will prompt to insert CD2,
> I want all this automatic,meaning my script should detect the CD1
> completed,and then swap to CD2, then the install continue. Is this
> possible for libvirt? I have successfully written a script to do DVD
> text install(totally imitate DVD install),you can see it at[1], I know
> for CD,it's a challenge,you suggestion is very important to me.
>
> *[1]
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/autoqa.git?p=autoqa.git;a=blob;f=tests/anaconda/dvd_install.py;h=5bcd3500cb724ac49753619e83911a034435cb3e;hb=5e78f629dc6b8315812585ba9d5b4801145fb5f7

One approach, which might not reflect how users really install using CD
media, would be to attach all CD media required to the guest during the
install.  The installer will always check the attached optical devices
for the disc it's looking for before prompting the user.  I've done this
in the past, but it has the limitation that you can only attach a
certain number of IDE CDROM devices to the guest at a time.

With Xen, there was the xenstore-write command which could be used to
change the ISO used for an attached block device.  I'm not sure if there
is a similar command using just libvirt?

Thanks,
James