[fedora-virt] Problem porting winxp vm from F12 to rh el 5.4

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 07:41:58 UTC 2010

Yes the emulation type is the same.
I came back to my other PC where I created the VM (it has F12+rawvirt
qemu-kvm) and I verified I have exactly the same problem.
So it is not a problem related to different versions of qemu, but it seems
something related to
windows XP + qcow2 disk combination perhaps
My definition is for both of this kind (in qemu for rh el 5.4 I created the
domain based on this xml, only changing the path before running "virsh
create winxp.xml and the other things I wrote in first post):

    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
      <source file='/data/virtstorage/winxp_maggi.img'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu'/>
      <source file='/winxp/temp/iso maggi/WinLite.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='1' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'/>

I tried erasing of CD in F12 too, and the problem persist.
I have to create CD and connect it to iso to have then win xp boot.

BTW, I tried to re-create a winxp vm in F12+rawvirt with virt-manager.
One note: in step 2 I select "Windows" as OS type and "Microsoft Windows XP
(x86)" as flavour.
In step 5 if I expand "advanced options" I can see that it automatically put

virt type: kvm  ---> OK
architecture: x86_64 ----> KO in my opinion

I would expect this only if I had selected "Microsoft Windows XP (x86_64)"
option before in step 2...
I changed this field to i686 before install (also in my previous vm that
manifests this boot problem) thinking it was a bug... (and in case I report
this here).
Any way that there is a reason instead, perhaps, to put it to x86_64
anyway???

Based on this I get in this new xml:
    <type arch='i686' machine='fedora-13'>hvm</type>

While by default I would get:
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='fedora-13'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
  </os>
(just for curiosity, I made a "virsh edit winxp.xml" changing to x86_64, but
the problem remains: donna if having x86_64 at installation time impacts in
any way in terms of boot loader, or cpu type installed in windows though...)

Is this correct? What exactly does it mean "fedora-13" (that in rh el is
instead "pc")?
Is it something comparable to virtual hw version of VMware guests, that
should say what kind of hw features that vm can have?

Coming back to my VM, I slipstreamed a WIndows XP sp2 cd with nlite, taking
it to sp3 and installed from that iso...
I will try to install on no-qcow2 based hd... could it be that causing
problems with nt boot loader perhaps?
Anyone installed successfully winxp sp3 on qcow2 disks?
Thanks for your attention,
Gianluca