[fedora-virt] Is this possible in F13?

Amit Shah amit.shah at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 09:52:50 UTC 2010

On (Mon) Mar 22 2010 [16:46:12], Li Ming wrote:
> Greetings Amit,

Hello Li,

>      I tried to find you on IRC, but you seemed to be not there.We are

I'm available as 'amitshah' on freenode and 'amit' on oftc.

> very interested in virtio-serial. I just want to know this is possible
> for current anaconda of F13:
> Install F13 in KVM, during install,anaconda will create the log in
> /tmp/anaconda.log, can we get this file(anaconda.log) or the content of
> this file via virtio-serial in host? I mean while anaconda is generating
> logs in /tmp/anaconda.log in guest ,we can get this log in host at the
> same time.

We'll need some co-operation by the anaconda folks and libvirt /
virt-manager for this.

If Anaconda can successfully open something like

  /dev/virtio-ports/org.fedoraproject.anaconda.log

then the logs could be routed directly to the host.

Libvirt/virt-manager could spawn a virtio-serial port that connects to
some socket on the host (tcp/udp/unix domain sockets).

It should be possible on a F13 guest image with qemu-kvm from
virt-preview. (I don't know if the relevant changes have been pushed to
F12 yet.)

In fact, someone from the Anaconda team had contacted me for doing such
a thing but I don't think it has moved forward at all. CC'ing the
anaconda-devel list (and I hope it's not moderated).

		Amit