[fedora-virt] f15 guest with spice and gnome 3

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 11:33:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:
>> In this case is there any emulated video adapter to configure with
>> which I can test f15 and gnome 3 in its new desktop layout?
> I think vmwglx doesn't work? haven't tried. I know there is ongoing work
> to allow gnome-shell to work with a software stack, but don't know the
> status of that.

I think you meant vmwgfx ...
In f15 beta + updates I see that the kernel module part is present and
I can load it:
[root at f15 ~]# lsmod|grep vm
vmwgfx                 74164  0
ttm                    55120  1 vmwgfx
drm                   187648  2 vmwgfx,ttm

and in dmesg:
[  332.683892] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810

But it seems I don't find the xorg part so the vmwgfx_drv.so for f15....
Only reference I found was something for fc13 on s390...:
http://s390.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=81666

[root at f15 ~]# yum search xorg-x11-drv-vmwgfx
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Warning: No matches found for: xorg-x11-drv-vmwgfx
No Matches found

I don't know if mesa is built in f15 with support for it...
I also founf a VMware thread:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1544516

BTW: what video adapter should I use in virt-manager for the guest if
able to self-build support for vmwgfx_drv.so??

vmvga?

Thanks,
Gianluca