[fedora-virt] fedora virt versus RHEV - libvirt tools availability

Dale Bewley dale at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 29 21:08:35 UTC 2011

I hope this doesn't seem too far off topic.

In my current position we are a vmware shop. With a few dozen machines
in a handful of clusters, multipath fibrechannel storage, lots of live
migrations, etc.

In my past position, I did everything on Fedora with the help of virsh,
guestfish and all their friends, and life was very good. I could
provision machines with virt-install and koan. I could tweak the machine
definitions in XML. I could login and get a vm console very easy.

That environment was much smaller and all storage was essentially direct
attached and there was no live migration. Moving to vmware has a few
niceties, but feels encumbered.

I now want to evaluate RHEV against vmware, but I'm immediately taken
aback to see the need for a windows mgt console, and troubled by an
apparent burying of the libvirt API with a user push towards a REST API.
Maybe my perception is off. I'm going to RH Summit and will get some
more education next week.

Tools like guestfish and virsh are some of the drivers causing me to
explore vmware alternatives. If RHEV occludes those tools I'm left
wondering what do I get that I can't get from Fedora with an apparently
more open toolset. Other than the long term support.

What are others doing out there? How large have you scaled up a Fedora
solution (libvirt, virt-manager, virsh, kvm)? Are you performing live
migrations reliably? How do you feel about RHEV?

Anyone coming to RH Summit?