[fedora-virt] Suggestions for NFS mount options?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 21:58:42 UTC 2011

On 12/12/2011 02:52 PM, Scott Baker wrote:
> I have a virt frontend that runs the VMs, and another server that stores
> the VM images/configs and shares via NFS.
>
> On the frontend I mount /mnt/nfs/virt-stuff and then symlink
> /var/lib/libvirt/images

okay

> and /etc/libvirt/

not good.  Each machine's /etc/libvirt must be independent, and sharing
them is a disaster waiting to happen, if libvirtd on two different
machines tries to modify shared /etc/libvirt at the same time.

> from the NFS mount point. Are
> there any "best practices" for NFS mount options? Do I need to worry
> about the filesystem on the VM store? Right now I'm just using EXT3 to
> store the images.

If you want shared configurations, then use 'virsh dumpxml' to dump your
machine configurations into shared storage, and 'virsh define' from that
shared configuration to populate other machines with the same setups.
Sharing /etc/libvirt is not recommended.

> Any advice on the best way to share/store the VM images would be
> appreciated.

Exposing your images via a common NFS server, accessed via the same path
(in your case, /var/lib/libvirt/images pointing to the NFS mount) should
do fine.  You may also want to setup the libvirt-lock-sanlock project on
your machines, to ensure that no two machines will start a VM with the
same shared storage at once: http://libvirt.org/locking.html