[fedora-virt] spice on 32-bit

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Fri May 20 14:03:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 02:39:37PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 04:35:58PM +0300, Alon Levy wrote:
> > On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 02:31:23PM -0600, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> > > Are there any plans to get Fedora's 32-bit qemu-kvm package working
> > > with Spice support? Is this a limitation of the buildsystem, or
> > > something else?
> >
> > No plans, but no limitation either AFAICT.
>
> IIUC, in the past, the SPICE protocol itself was not endian-safe,
> nor 32/64-bit invariant. I assume those problems have all been
> fixed in latest SPICE protocol specs, and it just remains that
> the actual impl code which needs fixing up ?

All I meant was that there is nothing inherently 64 bit about spice. The
marshalling code does make for an easy place to deal with endianess of the
protocol vs the machine. A quick grep shows there is SPICE_BYTESWAP in macros.h
and it is used by generated_demarshaller.c (and I'll assume the others). 64/32
is something that needs other checking. I'd assume if someone got to building it
on 32 bit they will find pretty fast if there is anything to fix.