[fedora-virt] Virt Tools Survey: What to do about virt-clone

Athmane Madjoudj athmanem at gmail.com
Mon May 23 23:29:26 UTC 2011

> So I'd like feedback from "virt-clone next generation" users:
>
> (a) Is cloning guests useful for you or not?  Often or infrequently?

Yes, I use it often, at work (Linux SysAdmin) and during Fedora testing
cycle (Alpha, Beta, RC etc...).

> (b) Do you currently use virt-clone to clone guests?

Yes, until bug rhbz#667509 appears.

> (c) Do you have a homebrew method to clone guests?  What does it do?

Yes, it a small shell script, that copy the guest image, create a new
guest with virt-install  --import ...

> (d) Do you use another tool to clone guests?  (And how is it?)

No.

> (e) When you clone a guest, do you "sysprep" it or would you like to?
> (Using the term "sysprep" generically here, I mean any sort of
> reinitialization for Linux or Windows guests).

No.

> (f) How do you feel about a multi-step process?
>
>    virt-clone ->  virt-sysprep ->  virt-resize (for example)

If virt-{clone,sysprep,resize} are separate tool then it very good idea
otherwise (ie: one monolithic app) it's over-engineered.

> (g) Have you had other problems with cloning guests?

Yes, bug rhbz#667509

> (h) What have I missed out in this analysis?  What other features have
> you missed in virt-clone?

PS.
AFAIK, cloning on VMware does not touch the inside of the guest

--
Athmane Madjoudj
RHCE