[fedora-virt] Restored Windows Server 2003 VM goes black

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Mon Oct 3 15:08:58 UTC 2011

I tried a P2V migration last week and here might be a better spot to
document the results.  I have an aging physical host running Windows
2003 Server and I want to P2V that host in to a libvirt VM.  The
physical host uses a Compaq Smart Array 532 Controller with a Compaq
Logical Volume SCSI disk device.  The logical volume is a RAID 5 set.

I first tried using the new virt-p2v approach, but haven't been
successful.  So I tried doing it the old-fashioned way.  On a RHEL 6.1
host, I built a libvirt Windows 2003 VM from scratch using a virtio
system drive.  Then, on the physical host, I ran ntbackup and backed up
all the system drive files to a network share viewable from my newly
provisioned VM.  I also backed up the system state.  From the 2003 VM, I
restored the system drive files and system state and rebooted.

When rebooting, the VM flashes a couple of POST SeaBIOS lines, then the
console window goes black.  No BSOD, just black.  Virt-manager shows the
VM is still powered on, but the console window just sits there, black,
until I force the VM to power off.  I tried pressing F8 to see if I
could get to a Windows boot menu, but this never worked.  I have a hunch
something is going on with the new system virtual drive and the driver
for the old system drive.

I can boot the VM from a virtual CD and launch the Windows recovery
console, and from there I can see the Windows installation.  The login
uses the new password, so I think the ntbackup - restores did their
jobs.  I tried a fixboot and fixmbr, but neither of these did any good.
I tried another ntbackup - restore, this time using an IDE system drive
in my VM (the restore took 50 percent more time than with virtio), but
this also made no difference.

I ended up re-enabling the NIC on the physical host again and now I'm
trying to come up with a plan C. Are there any other ideas I'm not
thinking of?

Thanks

-    Greg Scott