[fedora-virt] Restored Windows Server 2003 VM goes black

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 08:32:36 UTC 2011

On 06/10/11 07:15, Greg Scott wrote:
> Then I rebooted the 2003 host from the virt-p2v CD.  I logged in to
> the conversion server, selected the profile named "mmmh-migrate",
> 1024 MB of RAM and 1 CPU. When I clicked "convert", see below:
>
> Virt-p2v has shutdown unexpectedly.  You may:
>
> * Try running it again * Debug virt-p2v * Power the machine off
>
> I suppose a definition of insanity is trying the same thing again and
> expecting different results - but I tried again anyway and got the
> same results.  This time I chose debug and it mentioned a saved file
> named virt-p2v.log.  So I copied it and am pasting its contents
> below.
>
> (eval): line 75 Gtk-WARNING **:Could not find the icon
> 'gtk-dialog-warning'. The 'hicolor' theme was not found either,
> perhaps you need to install it. You can get a copy from:
> http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases /dev/cciss!c0d0: No such
> file or directory
> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/virt-p2v-0.8.3/lib/virt-p2v/converter.rb:138:in
> `Integer': invalid value for Integer: "" from

You've hit a bug here caused by not handling your smartarray properly. I
haven't tested against these slightly strange controllers before, so I'm
not surprised you're hitting bugs. In this specific case, the client
doesn't like the output of the command:

blockdev --getsize64 /dev/cciss!c0d0

To be honest, I'd expect you to hit more bugs on the server side when
the conversion code tries to rename all your drives.

I'm aware of how common these controllers are, so handling them properly
is high on the todo list. I've managed to get some hardware to test this
on, so hopefully I'll fix it soon.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID: D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490