[fedora-virt] Virtio-win Windows NIC goes offlineduringbulkcopies

Greg Scott GregScott at Infrasupport.com
Tue Sep 6 11:49:38 UTC 2011

Oh wow.  Tom, are your random failures across gb or 10/100 networks?

I started off a 42 GB test ntbackup last night from that physical
Win2003 system to the 2008R2 VM, using the 1.2.1 VirtIO driver.  But
this one is over a 10/100 switch at the colo site instead of the gb
switch here.  Total projected time to finish is about 1 day, 15 hours.
Versus about 3 hours when I had it on the gb switch here.  So far, it's
been running for 7 hours 46 minutes and copied about 8.5 gb.  The
absolute world record for me when it was on the gb switch is a little
more than 8 hours and around 117 GB, so maybe the problem only shows up
with gb speeds.

- Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: virt-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org
[mailto:virt-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Tom Horsley
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 1:32 AM
To: virt at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: [fedora-virt] Virtio-win Windows NIC goes
offlineduringbulkcopies

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 23:40:57 -0500
Greg Scott wrote:

> So that Realtech problem could have been something else, but looking
> back, I don't think so. I wonder if the VirtIO and hardware emulator
> drivers share some common code?  Or maybe there's a flow control issue
> effecting them both?

My test KVMs run a wide variety of linux distros, some too old
to have virtio drivers and so they use the realtech or some other
emulation. The network issues I see don't seem to be restricted
to any particular flavor of NIC inside the virtual machines, they
all randomly get network failures from time to time.