[fedora-virt] VMs are failing to DHCP

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 08:05:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 02:09:50PM -0700, Scott Baker wrote:
> I've used virt-install to kickstart VM installs for a year or so. When I
> went to use it today it fails on getting DHCP from the host. I've
> restarted libvirtd, and dnsmasq but still have the problem. I see the
> install script send the DHCP request, but nothing ever hits the logs on
> the host. How do I troubleshoot the DHCP/dnsmasq part of libvirtd?

I still get conflicts between the libvirt dnsmasq instance and any
other dnsmasq instance on the same machine.  So check that libvirt's
dnsmasq instance is running, and if possible kill the other dnsmasq.

Alternatively (if you've got a server with wired ethernet), attach
your VMs to eth0/em1 as described below.  That completely avoids the
libvirt dnsmasq instance.  The VMs should acquire addresses from your
local network, assuming it has DHCP.

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Bridged_networking_.28aka_.22shared_physical_device.22.29

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v