[fedora-virt] Headsup ABI breaking libusbredirparser update coming to F-18+ soon

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 19:28:43 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Monday I plan to release a new usbredir version, which includes an
ABI (and for qemu also API) breaking change to libusbredirparser.

The reason for this is that for USB-redir live migration we are
going to use guest physical addresses as packet ids, so that the
packet ids stay consistent over migration. This means that we
need 64 bit packet ids, which requires changing the id function
parameter which all most all ubsredirparser functions have
from an uint32_t to an uint64_t.

At first I thought this would only impact qemu, since that directly
uses libusbredirparser, where as spice-glib uses libusbredirhost,
which is not changing ABI.

Unfortunately spice-glib does use some libusbredirfilter* functions,
which live in libusbredirparser, so it links directly to
libusbredirparser. And although that part of the ABI is not changing,
the soname is, so spice-gtk will need a rebuilt too.

Once I've done the release on Monday, and build it for Rawhide + F-18,
I'll also fire of spice-gtk rebuilds to take care of the spice-gtk dep.

For qemu I have a git tree with some other USB fixes + a patch adjusting
it for the API change here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jwrdegoede/qemu/log/?h=usb-wip

I'll bump the F18+ qemu packages to 1.2.0-rc2, add the necessary usb
patches and fire of a rebuild.  While add it I'm also going to add
some pending spice patches, needed for the seamless migration and
arbitrary resolution features. The patches in question can be found
here:
http://www.kraxel.org/cgit/qemu/log/?h=rebase/spice-next

Regards,

Hans