[fedora-virt] qemu 1.3 in fedora git, but not rawhide yet

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 13:56:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 12/08/2012 09:47 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've pushed qemu 1.3 to the fedora git repo, but haven't pushed a build to
> rawhide yet

Cool to see 1.3 coming to rawhide. And I see that you've already forward
ported the chardev flowcontrol patches needed for reliable spice agent /
usbredir operation it will need the usual chardev flowcontrol patches,
thanks!

Note that I usually have a branch with them forward ported long before
the Fedora packages get rebased, so you can save yourself this tedious
job by taking them from a branch here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jwrdegoede/qemu/log/?h=qemu-1.3-usbredir-wip

You will want the patches starting at:
"char: Split out tcp socket close code in a separate function"
and ending at:
"hw/virtio-serial-bus: replay guest open on destination"

Note that I once more add to plan some usb-core + usb-redir patches
to the Fedora packages for some USB goodness. Currently pending
there is:

-Some more performance tweaks for ehci giving another 20% performance
boost reading from usb mass storage devices
-Throughput improvements for uhci (1000 urbs / sec instead if 500 in
cases where the guest uses only 1 urb).
-Buffered bulk input support. This decouples qemu and the real usb-dev
  adding  fifo in between for bulk in endpoints on certain devices (like
  we already do for isoc endpoints). This makes USB <-> serial adapters
  work reliable even when we hit some latency spikes / issues in qemu
  (which we regularly do). Without this received serial data may get lost
  due to the small fifo these devices have internally overrunning.

Note the intends of this is a heads-up about me planning to bring these
upstream improvements to the Fedora qemu-1.3 packages is to allow people
to object. If I receive no objections I will move forward with this when
I find some time for it :)

Regards,

Hans