[fedora-virt] qemu-kvm to guest using physical Windows7 partition (on Fedora16)

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:42:00 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 03:38 AM, Emanuel Rietveld wrote:
> When you give qemu-kvm a partition to use as disk for a guest, it does
> exactly that. It uses the partition as a disk for the guest. So, the
> guest sees a *disk* while in the physical situation it's a *partition*.
> You may be able to do what you want by attaching a whole disk to the
> guest, instead of just the partition.

I've often thought that it should be possible to cook something up with
device manager -- essentially creating a "wrapper" that provides a MBR,
etc. around a Windows logical volume or partition.  Might be a fun
project for someone.

> Caveat 2: You of course already know this, but Windows is not designed
> to be run in this configuration (same installation runs physical as well
> as virtual), so you may run into unexpected issues, even if you get it
> to work.

The biggest issue I would expect would be constant requests to
"reactivate" the Windows VM/system.