[fedora-virt] qemu-kvm to guest using physical Windows7 partition (on Fedora16)

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 17:07:31 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012 08:11 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Rich,
>

> On 2012-01-05 21:05, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>> *partition*.
>

> Not possible in my situation - I want to be able to dual boot OR run
> Windows 7 as a guest using the same partition install.

Won't work, in general, because your virtual machine will present
different hardware to Windows than the native dual boot, and Windows is
super-finicky about being booted on the same hardware every time.

> So if I understand this correctly - it IS possible to (easily) do what I
> want with Xen but NOT kvm?

No.  It's not possible to do what you want with either solution (at
least, not possible while still being above the law with Microsoft
product activation).