[fedora-virt] Sound not working on vm clients

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sun Jun 17 14:36:32 UTC 2012

On 06/16/2012 10:06 PM, David Highley wrote:
> We have two vm clients and neither have sound.
> hosting platform is Fedora 16 x86_64
> first client is Fedora 17 i686
> second client is Ubuntu 12.04 i686
>
> libvirt-0.9.6-5.fc16.x86_64
> qemu-kvm-0.15.1-5.fc16.x86_64
>
> Tried both VNC and Spice modes. Did set, vnc_allow_host_audio = 1, in
> /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf file. Just in case we put selinux in Permissive
> mode. Still no sound.

On F16, using SPICE is the only good way to get sound, so do your testing with
that. Please provide the following info

- How are you connecting to the guest console?
- sudo virsh dumpxml $vmname
- sudo cat /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$vmname.log

> Another question is, when and if graphics 3D acceleration will work? We
> tried the HoN game, disabled graphics detection, it segfaulted.

F16 has no chance here. F17 handles enough 3D bits in software that it can run
gnome shell at least, but not sure how it will handle a game.

Actual 3D support from the whole kvm stack is still a ways off, though I know
some people have patches for qemu opengl passthrough.

- Cole